Wednesday, January 27, 2021

 The Long Road Home: A Story of Redemption 

by James Chaisson


I guess it’s only proper to start at the beginning, although I imagine a more gifted poet might begin where the trouble first started, but alas, I’m not a very gifted poet so let me start by telling you about Samuel and Rose’s early years.

When Samuel was a young man his heart burned with a pure kind of passion for a girl named Rose. I’m told it all started the day he noticed her sitting at her desk in Mrs. Lawson’s class. The first day of 5th grade and Samuel was already nervous but when he saw Rose, his face turned bright red and his hands began to sweat. Although Samuel didn’t understand what he was feeling, it was a moment of magic like the first day of Spring with its promise of something wonderful. He took his seat next to her and with all the courage he could muster said “Hey, I’m Sam, what’s your name?” “Rose” was the tender and soft reply. That was it, that was the start of it all.

Time seemed to leap forward as it often does when you’re young and it wasn’t long before Rose was a beautiful young lady and Samuel was a handsome young man... 



To Be Continued...